Sunday, February 22, 2009

The one with the kollegium party

Friday we decided to go out to this dance club that had a thirty dollar or so cover with unlimited beer and champaigne all night. It was a HUGE place with the top floor like a mexican party place, and the bottom floor like Euro-trash underground night club. So cool. Kris finally memorized all the words to Poker Face, this crazy song by Lady Gaga that is played ALL THE TIME here. The place was kind of a bummer on the whole though because apparently it was mostly a high schooler place... it is so weird that they can go out to clubs!! We felt kind of old but the guys were all about it obviously... It ended up being really fun because Kris Jillian and I went downstairs and danced so so long, and definately took advantage of our unlimited beer. We were out quite a while, and when we got home Jillian made popcorn and put in PETER PAN the orig. disney movie!

The next day we had breakfast then went to go check out this festival that happens every year, apparently it is a really historic event where everyone gets on horses that are all decorated and the object is to hit a barrel with a cat in it, and they have to kill the cat. Taking the inhumane-ness of the object, these days the barrels are filled with candy anyway. The event only took 5 minutes and was proceeded with lots of singing and beer, and all the kids and some adults dress up in costumes much like halloween. Jillian took off for home and will and I found this EXCELLENT bakery in Christiantown. We then went to explore Christiania, which was very interesting and kind of hard to explain. To put it in a nutshell, they are kind of their own world inside Copenhagen which is filled with squatters, unique art & clothing, and lots and lots of marijuana. I am not sure how they are still there but it's a big tourist attraction and the culture in there is amazing, it just happens to be an herbal hub haha. When we were done exploring we left and the sign above us at the gate of this community said "You are now entering the E.U." hahaha. There is a large spire church that in the spring you can climb up, and we will definately be doing that!

I got home and napped for so long- we had been out very late the night before. Then Caroline made dinner for us and we got ready to go out. Sebastian got us tickets for this party at his Kollegium (where apparently all the danes who are 20 to 25ish hang out... they don't do the bar scene too often because it is so much money) and they have a bar there too with cheap beer and some mixed drinks. It was a big costume party (because of the festival) and the whole kollegium was there. Luke came too, and Sebastian and him got along real well, especially after they got involved in a fuseball tourney. Meanwhile Caroline and I danced, met some real hotties, including a guy that ended up making out with Caroline! The Danes are really friendly and outgoing when you are at a party and not with a huge group of people. At the bars they don't really come up to you, but at these dorm parties they are really forward...start speaking Danish to you, then it's awkward for 5 seconds until you say "ah.. i only speak english" then they guess where you are from and a whole convo starts. They are really a charming bunch of people, especially the guys....

I can't believe a month has passed since I've been home, seen my friends, my phis, and my family. I miss everyone so much, and I’m kind of nervous to go back-- to see what has changed, to miss all the amazing people I’ve met here, and to realize that most of my friends have graduated. I just got a bunch of Skype accounts, so the good news is hopefully I’ll get to talk to them soon. People are turning older, and even my sister will be accepted to a University by the time I’m back. I would never change my decision to study abroad, especially at DIS. It’s absolutely amazing. Everyday is a new adventure, and I’m learning more architecture than I would have ever learned for my whole career at Minnesota’s studios. I don’t do busy work, just productive work, and I’m learning about the E.U. and environment, which is really eye-opening. I am learning about the world, about people, and the most about the U.S. Did you know that Eiffel 65 and Aqua are both Danish Bands??? Had no idea. Also, IKEA is a Swedish company for anyone who didn’t know that before. Guess again about H & M, and we don’t make anything close to pastries in the states either…

I also finished the 2nd book of Twilight (Eclipse) in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment