Monday, February 2, 2009

The one with the barking mad King

So, it is an exciting day. The first reason being that I have discovered how to post pictures in my blogs, but also because I have planned a dinner with my friends for Valentine's Day at my host families house. Nina said I could have people over since she will be gone for a few days for work, and Caroline will be skiing in the Alps with school (right?!). Sebastian will stop by and check on me, so I'm not worried about being home, actually it will be a blast!

Sunday, Jillian, Greame, Kris, some other D.I.S. kids and I went to see Frederiksborg Castle, where many kings have lived, and today it is a fabulous museum where (below)the stairwells are lined with real coats of arms from knights in the kings court. We had the best tour guide, who was also hillarious, and even told us a story about a "barking mad" king who liked to have his servent whip him and tell him he was a bad king. Then the servent was instructed to tell the king he was pardoned... it was his favorite game. Barking mad he was!

My favorite part of the castle was this piece of literature below. It is the actual first book written in the Danish Language: the Bible. It is some 400 years old. The guide referred to a linguist who said, all language must be thanked to the language of translation, a language in itself. That is to say that before the bible, Denmark never had a word for camel, or desert, or... imaculate conception or anything, so the Bible was a sort of world book that people could use to relate to. Because it was translated to each different language in a written form, Lattin was no longer the only language to write in, and official languages were born; the Swedes could speak Swedish, the French could speak French, and the Danes could speak Danish and so on. Christian the 4th, was proficient in six languages.
Jillian, Kris, and I in front of the courtyard's fountain in front of the castle!! Notice the blue sky... that was the first time I had seen sun for a week and a half.

As for the rest of the week, I am getting excited for our tour of Western Denmark, and even more excited for our three week spring break!! I am going to the Netherlands & Germany for a week, Ireland for a week, and the last week is a win win. Either my parents are coming to tour Denmark, or Jillian and I are going to get some people together to go to Greece!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vi ses!

No comments:

Post a Comment